Workplace health and safety is at the forefront of commercial architecture now more than ever before. As we adjust to the changes brought about by COVID-19, and as offices and other workplaces begin opening and people start returning to work, many companies are considering re-designing their buildings in order to provide a safer, healthier work space. Making these important changes can seem overwhelming, but we recommend working with a commercial architect who can help ensure your workplace is as safe as possible.
To start, find an Architecture design company that is accredited by the American Institute of Architects (AIA) to assess your current workplace and controls, to identify any deficiencies, and to uncover problems and potential problems. An accredited commercial architect can also make recommendations, including:
- Appliances and surfaces that are less likely to absorb the COVID-19 virus. Even constant cleaning sometimes doesn’t kill all bacteria, but there are other ways to mitigate transmission via design.
- How to sanitize your environment regularly, and if possible, by automation. Since it’s not possible for people to be cleaning every moment they are in the office, automated cleaning is an option where possible. This can alleviate stress while keeping you safe.
- How to improve the indoor air quality. Airflow, good ventilation and constant air circulation are essential, so it’s crucial that your indoor air quality is as good as possible.
- Support with mental health designs. This has been and continues to be a stressful time for everyone. We’re dealing with huge amounts of uncertainty, our everyday lives have changed, and many of us are starting to go back to the office. We recommend incorporating design elements that are beneficial for mental health, like lots of natural light, fresh air, and comfortable places people can rest throughout the day.
- Compliance with the latest COVID-19 regulations and guidelines.
Health and safety at work via architecture
Workplace health and safety is now much more all-encompassing due to COVID-19. Employers must consider every step of their employees’ journeys from the moment they step onto the property until they go home at the end of the day, and for many workplaces this means a redesign is needed. A commercial architect can work with your budget and help you redesign your space to make it as safe as possible.
For more information about how our commercial architects can help you improve workplace health and safety, or if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us today. We look forward to hearing from you.