Once you’ve started making a list of potential architects for your commercial or residential project, the next step will be collecting design proposals from each firm on your list. A design proposal is a document that outlines essential information related to your project, and answers some of your most important questions. If you’ve never seen a design proposal before, you may be wondering what to look for and how to select the one that best aligns with your vision.
Here are some things you will find in a successful design proposal:
- A background section that includes a history of the firm, a list of their key projects, and biographies of each architect. This segment should also list the firm’s qualifications and credentials, especially ones relevant to your project.
- A “Why us?” segment, in which the firm will outline why they believe they’re the best fit for your project. Selecting an architect takes time and patience, so we recommend you read this segment carefully and give it adequate consideration.
- A segment on pricing. While there’s no way to know exactly how much money your project will cost, firms are able to give estimates to ensure you stay within your budget.
- A thorough timeline. Construction projects often seem to drag on well past the proposed timeline, so be clear with the potential firms about deadlines.
- Clear deliverables. While this might seem obvious, certain things like landscape architecture and interior design may or may not be included in the scope of your project. Don’t make any assumptions and be very clear about everything you expect the architects to handle.
- Communication expectations for the duration of the project. Do you expect to speak with your architect every other day? Once a week? It’s important that your communication expectations are aligned and agreed upon before the project even starts.
Choosing a residential architect in NJ
As mentioned above, choosing an architect is a process that takes time and careful consideration. Many factors will influence your decision, so we don’t recommend rushing this process. Even though you’re very eager to get started, having patience to choose the right firm will help the rest of the project go as smoothly as possible. In addition to a great design proposal, it’s wise to ask for client reviews, testimonials, and any other recommendations from each firm you’re considering.
For more information about how our architects can support your commercial or residential project, or if you have any questions, please contact our team today. Discover why so many people in NJ choose us as their architect. We look forward to hearing from you.