When it comes to buying property, most people like to find a home that’s already ideally suited to them while others like a property that’s a bit of a fixer-upper. Here are some of the ways a house can be transformed through home remodeling and the benefits of choosing this path to your dream home.
- Increase the value of your investment: A fixer-upper costs a lot less to buy than a home that’s already in move-in condition, so you can add immediate value to your property by buying a low-priced house and then improving the property.
- Get more for less: Usually, the cost of home remodeling is a lot less than the cost of a remodeled property, so you’ll be getting much more for much less if you choose a fixer-upper. This makes it easier for buyers to afford larger homes or homes in better areas than their budget would usually allow.
- Make the home your own: Working with a home remodel architect will allow you to create a home that is customized to your lifestyle and taste. Rather than living with compromises in a newer home, you can adapt an old home into something you truly love by knocking down walls, adding curb appeal, putting in a stylish kitchen, or adding rooms.
Important Home Remodeling Issues to Look for in Old Properties
Of course, a successful remodel relies on choosing the right property in the first place. Older homes can be very rewarding investments but there are potential problems that you’ll need to assess before you commit to a property. Issues to look for include:
- Damaged or rotten roof structures and roof leaks
- Basement leaks and cracks or warping in the foundation structure
- Old, inefficient or broken heating and cooling equipment
- Wiring that isn’t up to code
- Old plumbing (low water pressure, corrosion and leaks)
- Toxic or dangerous materials like asbestos that will require professional removal
- Old windows and poor insulation
It’s a good idea to have a pre-purchase inspection done on a property so that you can comfortably budget for these repairs. Your home remodel architect can also view the property with you and see if it does have the potential you’re looking for at a cost that fits within your budget.
Professional Advice from a Leading Home Remodel Architect in NJ
The firm of Seth A. Leeb is a full-service residential and commercial architectural firm, and we have considerable experience working on large and small residential projects, including remodeling, extensions and new builds. We consider designing and building your project as a privilege, and we’ll work with you to make the process as smooth and rewarding as possible. For more information on our services, which include custom home plans and home remodeling designs, and to speak to a residential architect in NJ, please contact us today or visit our website at https://leeb-architecture.com/