When you’ve reached the stage in your project where you’ve received architectural design proposals from all the firms on your shortlist, it’s now time to schedule interviews with each firm. If you’re someone who is going through this process for the first time, you may not know what questions to ask or how to decide which architect is the best fit.
To help, we’ve put together a list of questions we recommend you ask during the interviews:
- What sets you apart from other architects who have similar experience and a similar portfolio?
- Do you foresee encountering any challenges with my project? How is your firm equipped to handle these challenges?
- Which people from your firm will I be working with on a daily basis?
- What do you think are the most important things for me to consider about my project?
- How many phases will the project be divided into, and what does each phase entail?
- How disruptive will construction be during each phase? What can my neighbors expect?
- Will I be expected to work directly with the contractor on a daily basis?
- Can you give me an itemized list of everything that’s included in your fee?
- If we change certain elements of my project after we begin, how will this impact my budget?
- What is your firm’s track record for completing projects on time and within budget?
If your project will be focused on sustainable design and you’re choosing architects based on their “green” expertise, you’ll want to ask the following questions:
- Can you show me previous sustainable projects you’ve built?
- How do you plan to integrate sustainable design strategies into my project?
- How will you decide which sustainable design strategies are best to use for my project, and how have you used these strategies in the past?
- How will the sustainable elements of my project impact the budget and the timeline?
Finding a custom home architect in NJ
Choosing an architect is a serious decision. We know you’re eager to get your custom home started, but we recommend carefully considering your options before making your final choice. You’ll be working and communicating with this person for the duration of your project, so it’s important that your styles align, and you should have complete oversight of the budget and timeline.
For more information about how our architects can help you with your project, or if you have any questions about building a custom home, please contact our team today. Discover why so many people in NJ choose us as their architectural design firm.