One of the most stressful parts of building a home isn’t the time it takes or the countless decisions that have to be made – it’s the budget. Keeping costs down without compromising on quality is key to a successful home build, and these tips from a leading NJ residential architect will help you stay on track.
- Think double-story: In construction, a home’s foundation and roof are generally the two most expensive elements. By going up a story, you double the space in your home while keeping the roof and foundation the same size.
- Simple rooflines: The more complex the roof, the more engineering and materials that have to go into it, so a simpler roofline can help significantly lower your costs. Overly complex designs add no additional practical space to your home, and just cost money.
- Structure first: Similarly, very complex floorplans can add significant expenses to your budget. Lining up important internal components between the first and second floors, for example, allows the structure of the house to be kept clean and simple – removing the need for additional, expensive structural points.
- Centralize your plumbing: Keeping areas that require heavy plumbing, like the laundry, kitchen and bathrooms, as close together as possible works to minimize plumbing infrastructure and can be a great cost-cutter. It also minimizes other costs as there is less chance of leaks, less pipe insulation, and so forth to impact your budget.
- Go wholesale: What’s the difference between a kitchen from a wholesaler and one from a high-street store? The price. Unless you are looking for something completely bespoke, smart shopping can help you make huge savings in your budget without compromising on the quality of the end result. Taking the time to search for cabinetry, countertops and flooring will really pay off in the long term.
- Treat yourself: For almost every client, building a home is about realizing a very special dream, so it makes sense that they want a perfect result. The best way to achieve this without breaking the bank is to reward yourself! Use any savings you make by planning your home with care to buy those very special items – whether it is top-of-the-range appliances, a bespoke kitchen island or that beautiful imported tub.
Bring your Dream Home to Life with Full-Service Architects in NJ
Although we’ve worked on hundreds of projects, the firm of Seth A. Leeb Architects understands just how important each project is to our clients, and our exceptional customer service reflects this. As full-service architects, we can be there with you from the very first site visit, helping you to plan and realize your ideal home within your budget. For more information on our custom residential architecture services in New Jersey, please contact us today or visit our website at https://leeb-architecture.com/